A suburban Philadelphia family credits its cat with saving them from a raging fire in their home.

FOX's Gary Baumgarten reports: 

We've all heard stories of dogs alerting their owners to a fire. But a cat? That's what happened when a house in upper Darby, Pennsylvania went up in flames.

The mother, father and daughter were downstairs when the fire broke out upstairs. That's when their three-year-old female tortoise shell cat Mishka sounded the alarm!:

(Clark) "The cat made these crazy... Meows... like deep throated sounds that I never heard from the cat. It was so amazing that I was compelled to go upstairs."

Where Bernadette Clark discovered the fire, called 911 and got the family out. It took firefighters four hours to put the flames out.

Gary Baumgarten, FOX News.

Follow Gary Baumgarten on Twitter: @garybaumgarten