The family of a badly injured Florida man warning others of dangers from e-cigarettes.

FOX News Radio's Lilian Woo reports:

Ema Richardson's brother is in a medically induced coma after an e-cigarette exploded while he was smoking it...

(Richardson) "He has internal and external burns and damage to his lungs."

Part of the device apparently exploding inside him...

(Richardson) "Mouth piece when the cigarette exploded... went down his throat and again exploded."

She said she heard an explosion Monday morning then found the 21-year-old not breathing with his face and neck burned. He was rushed to a local hospital in Tampa then flown to Miami for treatment.

An investigation is underway, but for now fire officials say the explosion was likely caused by the lithium battery inside the device.

Lilian Woo, FOX News Radio.