If a New Year's resolution includes getting fit, you should know WHEN you eat may be as important as WHAT you eat. Dr. Mehmet Oz and NBA Star Dwyane Wade's personal chef talk share some effective ways to lose weight with Fox New's Lilian Huang Woo. Take a LISTEN:
Follow Lilian Woo on Twitter: @LilianNY
Veggie-Loaded Lentil Soup
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/ 4 chopped yellow onion
1/ 2 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1/ 2 celery stalk, diced
1/ 2 medium zucchini, diced
4 green beans, halved
2 1/ 2 tablespoons dried green lentils
1/ 2 teaspoon dried basil
1/ 2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/ 2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/ 2 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 Swiss chard leaves, torn (baby spinach also works)
Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the zucchini and green beans and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the lentils, herbs, tomatoes, and broth; bring to
a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Toss in the
Swiss chard and season with salt and pepper. Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree.
340 CAL, 6 G FAT, 17 G PROTEIN, 56 G CARB, 13 G SUGAR, 14 G FIBER, 250 MG SODIUM
Curried Cauliflower Steaks
from Lia Huber author of Nourished: A Memoir of Food, Faith & Enduring Love
2 heads cauliflower 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cut the tip of the core off the cauliflower and slice, top to core, into 1-inch thick "steaks."
Heat 2 large skillets over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of oil to each. When oil is hot, swirl the oil around the pans and add arrange cauliflower in a single layer in each. Sprinkle with half the curry powder and salt and pepper. Carefully flip the steaks and sprinkle with remaining curry powder, salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10-12 minutes, until underside of cauliflower is deeply caramelized. Flip cauliflower steaks and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, until the other side is the same.
Chicken Chili with Smoked Chicken Sausage
Ingredients for Chili
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 pound smoked chicken sausage sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken thigh meat
1 1/2 cups red onions chopped
4 cloves garlic sliced
1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
1/2 cup celery
2 Tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
3 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 cups beer
3 cups canned fire roasted tomatoes
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 cups red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method for Chili
- Brown sausage in 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large heavy pot, over medium-high heat.
- Using a slotted spoon remove sausage from the pot, drain on paper towels, and reserve until ready for use
- Add the ground chicken to the pot and cook until brown, and chicken is broken up to resemble crumbles
- Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper, celery, spices and cook ,stirring often to incorporate flavors
- Add beer and cook until the foam subsides, and liquid reduces by half
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and season with salt and pepper
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add beans and reserved sausage
- Cook, stirring for 10 minutes until beans and sausage are heated through .
- Serve with your favorite toppings avocado, red onions , Cilantro, sour cream, cheese, or limes if desired.
Eating Well to Win by Richard Ingraham