If a New Year’s resolution includes getting fit, you should know WHEN you eat may be as important as WHAT you eat. Dr. Mehmet Oz and NBA Star Dwyane Wade’s personal chef talk share some effective ways to lose weight with Fox New’s Lilian Huang Woo. Take a LISTEN:
Ingredients for Chili
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 pound smoked chicken sausage sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken thigh meat
1 1/2 cups red onions chopped
4 cloves garlic sliced
1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
1/2 cup celery
2 Tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
3 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 cups beer
3 cups canned fire roasted tomatoes
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 cups red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method for Chili
- Brown sausage in 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large heavy pot, over medium-high heat.
- Using a slotted spoon remove sausage from the pot, drain on paper towels, and reserve until ready for use
- Add the ground chicken to the pot and cook until brown, and chicken is broken up to resemble crumbles
- Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper, celery, spices and cook ,stirring often to incorporate flavors
- Add beer and cook until the foam subsides, and liquid reduces by half
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and season with salt and pepper
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add beans and reserved sausage
- Cook, stirring for 10 minutes until beans and sausage are heated through .
- Serve with your favorite toppings avocado, red onions , Cilantro, sour cream, cheese, or limes if desired.
Eating Well to Win by Richard Ingraham