The chef who has been feeding Hollywood's biggest stars on Oscar Night, sits down with FOX News Radio's Lilian Woo to talk about his book "Wolfgang Puck Makes it Healthy", lifestyle tips and even his Oscar encounter with actress Jennifer Lawrence.
Take a LISTEN:
Follow Lilian Woo on Twitter: @LilianNY
Chinois Grilled London Broil Salad with Cilantro-Mint-Yogurt Dressing Recipe
Ingredients: 1½ pounds flank steak
½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup mirin (Japanese rice cooking wine)
½ cup chopped scallions, plus
2 scallions, cut diagonally into thin slices, for serving
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
10 ounces baby spinach leaves
1 small head radicchio, cut crosswise into chiffonade strips
4 dates, pitted and cut lengthwise into thin strips
1 large carrot, cut lengthwise into very thin slices
1 large or 2 medium radishes, cut lengthwise into very thin slices
1 cup Cilantro-Mint-Yogurt Dressing
- Thoroughly trim the flank steak of connective tissue and excess fat; put the steak in a shallow, flat, nonreactive dish large enough to hold it flat.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, chopped scallions, ginger, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
- Pour the mixture over the steak, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare a fire in an outdoor grill or preheat a broiler, stovetop ridged grill pan, countertop grill, or broiler.
- Remove the steak from the marinade.
- Discard the marinade.
- Pat the steak dry with paper towels and season on both sides with black pepper.
- Grill or broil until medium rare, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let rest in a warm place, covered with foil, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the spinach and radicchio and toss well.
- Arrange beds of the salad mixture on four serving plates.
- Carve the steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Arrange the steak slices on top of the beds of salad and garnish with the dates, carrot, radishes, and diagonally sliced scallions.
- Drizzle the salad or dot the plate surrounding it with some of the Cilantro-Mint-Yogurt Dressing.
- Pass the remaining dressing at the table.
Makes about 2 cups; eight 1/4-cup servings
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tablespoon honey
½ tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender or food processor, combine the vinegar, mint, cilantro, parsley, honey, and ginger.
- Blend or process until the herbs are finely chopped and a smooth paste has formed.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl and stir the herb-ginger mixture into the yogurt.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator, covered, and use within 3 to 4 days.