- How Can You Protect Your Online Privacy?Posted 11 hours ago
- ‘Downton Abbey’ To End After Season SixPosted 12 hours ago
- Distractions A Problem For Teen DriversPosted 1 day ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Watch Ryan Gosling Dancing As A Kid!Posted 2 weeks ago
- Jeb Bush To “Actively Explore The Possibility Of Running For President”Posted 3 months ago
- Insurance Industry Giving Affordable Care Act Customers More Time To Pay PremiumsPosted 3 months ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 4 months ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 4 months ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 7 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 9 months ago
‘Blade Runner’ Pistorius Emotional In Court
Olympic star ‘Blade Runner’ Oscar Pistorius became emotional in court on Friday as he faced the charge for the murder of his girlfriend.
FOX News Radio’s Simon Owen reports from London:
Oscar Pistorius broke down in tears as he faced this charge in court for the first time. Premeditated murder can carry a life sentence.
He’s accused of shooting his girlfriend dead at his home.
Police say they’ll oppose any application for bail. That’ll be decided next week. He’ll stay in custody until then.
Pistorius is the sprinter who became the first double-amputee ever to compete on the track at an Olympic games in London last summer.
In London, Simon Owen, FOX News Radio.
READ a statement from the family of Oscar Pistorius and his management company:
“Firstly, and most importantly, all our thoughts today must be with the family and friends of Reeva Steenkamp.
Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court here in Pretoria this morning formally charged with the murder of Reeva Steenkamp. The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms.
These are now live and active legal proceedings which must be allowed to take their course through the process of proper investigation by the police, evidence-gathering and through the local South African judicial system.
In a short hearing lawyers representing the athlete asked for a postponement for a bail application until Tuesday next week to allow time for their own investigation into the circumstances of the tragedy, which was agreed by the Magistrate, who also agreed that Pistorius would be held in custody at a local police station.
Oscar Pistorius has made history as an Olympic and Paralympic sportsman and has been an inspiration to others the world over.
He has made it very clear that he would like to send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva. He would also like to express his thanks through us today for all the messages of support he has received – but as stated our thoughts and prayers today should be for Reeva and her family – regardless of the circumstances of this terrible, terrible tragedy.
We will endeavor to issue other statements as matters develop but in these circumstances I am sure you appreciate it is very difficult to answer any more specific questions. Thank you very much for your attention.”