- Deer Tick DangersPosted 17 hours ago
- IRS Questioned Over Targeting ScandalPosted 2 days ago
- Midwest Gas Price SpikePosted 2 days ago
- FOX CountryPosted 2 days ago
- Life Expectancy RisesPosted 2 days ago
- David Beckham To Retire From SoccerPosted 2 days ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: All-Star Race (Charlotte)Posted 2 days ago
Funerals Begin For Hundreds Dead In Nightclub Fire
The first of at least 233 funerals is getting underway after a nightclub fire in southern Brazil that also left more than 100 people injured.
FOX News Radio’s Chris Hoenig has the latest:
Fast-moving flames and toxic smoke choked clubgoers at the Kiss nightclub in the college town of Santa Maria.
(Sound of sirens outside the nightclub)
The lone exit soon blocked by the bodies, trapping people inside. Witnesses say the fire was sparked by a flare lit by the band playing inside, similar to the way a 2003 fire started in a Rhode Island nightclub – that fire killed 100 people.
A makeshift morgue was set up inside a local gym, where officials counted the bodies. It’s the deadliest nightclub blaze since 309 people were killed at a Chinese disco in 2000. A fire at Boston’s Cocoanut Grove club in 1942 killed 492 people, leading to laws and codes requiring sprinkler systems and emergency exits.
Chris Hoenig, FOX News Radio.
LISTEN to Odomar Norambia and Regina Soares, who both lost children in the fire, as they speak with the press (with translation):