- AFMW: Miss America 2015 Kira KazantsevPosted 3 hours ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Soldier Shocks Family With Surprise ReturnPosted 1 day ago
- Tim McGraw To Headline Sandy Hook Promise BenefitPosted 1 day ago
- AFMW: ‘True Story’ Author Michael FinkelPosted 1 day ago
- AFMW: David Ensor, Head of the Voice of AmericaPosted 4 days ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Watch Ryan Gosling Dancing As A Kid!Posted 1 month ago
- Jeb Bush To “Actively Explore The Possibility Of Running For President”Posted 4 months ago
- Insurance Industry Giving Affordable Care Act Customers More Time To Pay PremiumsPosted 4 months ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 5 months ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 5 months ago
NY Enacts Tough Gun Control Law [VIDEO]
New York has become the first state since the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut to pass tough new gun legislation.
FOX News Radio’s Lisa Lacerra reports from New York City:
(Gov. Cuomo) “I am proud to be a New Yorker today.”
Gov. Andrew Cuomo as New York becomes the first state to dramatically stiffen its gun laws.
(Gov. Cuomo) “This is a complex, multifaceted problem, and this is a comprehensive bill that addresses the full panorama and spectrum of issues that come up.”
The law calls for a tougher assault weapons ban, background checks for buying ammunition and provisions to try to keep guns away from the mentally ill.
In a statement, the NRA saying they’re outraged at what they’re calling a “Draconian” bill that was rushed through the process.
In New York, Lisa Lacerra, FOX News Radio.
WATCH more on the gun control debate:
READ a statement from the NRA in response to NY’s new gun law:
“The National Rifle Association and our New York members are outraged at the draconian gun control bill that was rushed through the process late Monday evening. Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature orchestrated a secretive end-run around the legislative and democratic process and passed sweeping anti-gun measures with no committee hearings and no public input.
Hammered out in a backroom in Albany, S. 2230 was quickly drafted and released 20 minutes prior to the Senate vote. It passed as the clock ticked toward midnight. This legislation lowers New York’s arbitrary magazine capacity limit from ten rounds to seven. It also greatly expands the state’s existing ban on commonly owned semi-automatic firearms, and will require New York gun owners to undergo background checks on ammunition purchases.
These gun control schemes have failed in the past and will have no impact on public safety and crime. Sadly, the New York Legislature gave no consideration to that reality. While lawmakers could have taken a step toward strengthening mental health reporting and focusing on criminals, they opted for trampling the rights of law-abiding gun owners in New York, and they did it under a veil of secrecy in the dark of night.
The legislature caved to the political demands of a Governor and helped fuel his personal political aspirations. New York lawmakers have ignored and excluded gun owners throughout this legislative process, but the NRA and our New York members remain committed to having a meaningful conversation about protecting our children and will speak frankly about the lawmakers who have failed to do so.”