If you want to come across well at work — make sure you are properly interacting with others.
FOX Business Network’s Cheryl Casone has some tips in this week’s “Hired”:
Getting you Hired! I’m Cheryl Casone with the FOX Business Network.
When it comes to body language at the office, you may be making some big mistakes that could cost you that promotion or hurt your reputation.
- Don’t touch your co-workers, even if it’s on the back of the arm or shoulder. Many of your colleagues are not comfortable with even innocent gestures. Be careful.
- Don’t avoid eye contact. Lack of it implies deception, and it can also point to insecurity or lack of confidence. Authority and confidence are traits you will communicate if you hold eye contact 50% of the time.
- Don’t have a bad handshake. You’re going to get instant credibility with a strong firm palm to palm handshake. Be careful of the dead fish handshake, and you don’t want to be to strong, as that comes across as a bully stance.
- Don’t tilt your head while listening to others. For women especially, you think you are expressing interest, but you actually come across as if you don’t understand what’s going on.
- Don’t forget about posture! Leaning back looks lazy, leaning forward looks aggressive.
For more on all of this, go to casoneexchange.com.
I’m Cheryl Casone with the FOX Business Network for FOX News Radio.
Follow Cheryl on Twitter: @cherylcasone