- Foreign Dispatch: Crimea ConundrumPosted 3 hours ago
- FOX Country: Toby Keith Announces Tour Dates Via YouTube [VIDEO]Posted 10 hours ago
- FOX In The Fast Lane: NASCAR Heads To Las VegasPosted 11 hours ago
- FOX On Tech: Oscar ‘Selfie’ Takes Twitter To New HeightsPosted 1 day ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Company to Sponsor NASCAR RacePosted 4 weeks ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Week of January 31stPosted 1 month ago
- Housecall for Health: A Fit New YearPosted 2 months ago
- Barbecue Tips From A PitmasterPosted 8 months ago
Gun Nuts Stir False Outrage Over UN Treaty
Secretary of State John Kerry will sign the UN Arms Trade Treaty that gun advocates falsely claim will infringe on the Second Amendment rights of Americans. It does nothing of the kind, but what it does do is control arms trading with rogue nations, something you’d think conservatives would support.
The arms treaty, which requires ratification by the Senate and has been attacked by America’s pro-gun National Rifle Association, would help Western countries press to curtail Russian arms sales to Syria, where President Bashar al-Assad’s government has been accused of widespread abuses in more than two years of civil war.
Amnesty International Secretary General Salil Shetty called Kerry’s decision “a milestone towards ending the flow of conventional arms that fuel atrocities and abuse.”
The United States and 86 other signatory nations “must implement the treaty and bring to an end the supply of weapons to countries where they would be used to commit or facilitate genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes or other serious human rights violations,” Shetty said in a statement.
Contrary to what the NRA and other gun groups are saying, the treaty states that countries obey this treaty “pursuant to national laws.” It says that each county is to “take measures, pursuant to its national laws, to regulate brokering taking place under its jurisdiction for conventional arms.”