- Oscar Pistorius SentencedPosted 1 hour ago
- Housecall for Health: How A Tablet Computer Can HarmPosted 2 hours ago
- Fashion Designer Oscar de la Renta DiesPosted 2 hours ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 1 month ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 4 months ago
Almost One-Third Of Syrians Displaced By Civil War
Five million Syrians have been displaced within the country and another two million have left Syria.
The total, of about 7 million, amounts to nearly one-third of Syria’s population.
The funding gaps for the displaced remain wide, with donor countries sending less than one-third the money needed to help those displaced, Tarik Kurdi, the representative of the UN refugee agency in Syria, told The Associated Press.
Syria’s brutal two-and-a-half-year-old conflict has also claimed more than 100,000 lives, including hundreds who – according to the US – were killed in chemical weapons attacks by the Syrian regime near Damascus on Aug. 21.
Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government has denied involvement, instead blaming rebels for the attacks. Neither the US nor the Assad regime has presented proof in public to back up the allegations.