- Hired! Looking For Work?Posted 1 hour ago
- Bullet Points: Manhunt Underway for Suspect in PA State Trooper AmbushPosted 2 hours ago
- President Obama Announces Plan To Fight EbolaPosted 15 hours ago
- Joint Chiefs Chairman Won’t Rule Out U.S. Ground Troops Against ISISPosted 19 hours ago
- Housecall for Health: How Much Coffee Is Too Much?Posted 1 day ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 5 days ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 3 months ago
The New Look Republican Party: Youth Vote
Age matters at least when it comes down to who is voting in Presidential elections.
FOX News Radio’s Jared Halpern explains in our series “The New Look Republican Party”:
(Voters) “As a student and as a woman I think this election is really important.”//”I believe that this is the most important, you know, election of our generation.”
Just how important was the youth vote for President Obama last year?
(Smith) “If voting had started at age 30, Governor Romney would be President today.”
Five million more 18 to 29-year-olds supported President Obama. Alex Smith, Chair of the College Republican National Committee, calls that stat surprising.
(Smith) “Youth unemployment was double the national average and three-in-ten young people were moving back in with their parents.”
Smith and the College Republicans did focus groups and surveys with young voters, this is what she found…
(Smith) “It’s a branding issue. The Republican party has a branding issue with younger voters.”
Smith says some comments were hurtful and bashed Republicans.
(Smith) “I mean, words that I wouldn’t used to describe myself and I wouldn’t use to describe my friends that I know are Republican.”
Still there is a gap on social issues. Many voters under 30 say opposition to gay marriage is a deal-breaker. Smith suggests sensitivity on that issue and remembering to speak directly to this powerful voting block.
(Smith) “We have to be to talking to younger voters where they are, Yahoo News, Pandora, Hulu.”
Jared Halpern, FOX News Radio.