- Immigrant Families Fading into the Woodwork?Posted 17 hours ago
- President Obama Urges Stronger Global Response in Fight Against Spread of Deadly DiseasesPosted 3 days ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Global Be(er) Responsible Day “Friends Are Waiting” BudweiserPosted 3 days ago
- FOX In The Fast Lane: Drivers Dash At DoverPosted 3 days ago
- FOX Country: Nashville Hosting Celebration to Honor Glen CampbellPosted 3 days ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 2 weeks ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 3 months ago
Snowden Seeks Asylum In Ecuador
Equador’s foreign minister confirms the request.
The US wanted him extradited, but the Hong Kong government said Washington had failed to meet its requirements.
Ecuador’s Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino, who is in Vietnam, said on Twitter: “The Government of Ecuador has received an asylum request from Edward J. #Snowden.”
Wikileaks said in a statement that Mr Snowden was “bound for the Republic of Ecuador via a safe route for the purposes of asylum, and is being escorted by diplomats and legal advisors from Wikileaks”.
The anti-secrecy group said Mr Snowden’s asylum request would be formally processed when he arrived in Ecuador.
The announcement came after the Ecuadorian ambassador to Russia told reporters he would meet Mr Snowden and a representative from Wikileaks for talks on Sunday.