- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu Addresses Congress [VIDEO]Posted 3 hours ago
- Hillary Clinton’s State Department Email Habits Under FirePosted 5 hours ago
- AFMW: Frankie Ballard, Country Music Singer / SongwriterPosted 5 hours ago
- Tension In D.C. Over Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Speech [VIDEO]Posted 9 hours ago
- Preventing Peanut AllergiesPosted 9 hours ago
- Jeb Bush To “Actively Explore The Possibility Of Running For President”Posted 3 months ago
- Insurance Industry Giving Affordable Care Act Customers More Time To Pay PremiumsPosted 3 months ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 3 months ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 4 months ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 6 months ago
Schools Dropping Federal Lunch Program [VIDEO]
A number of school districts are opting out of the federal student lunch program, finding that the government subsidy doesn’t keep them from losing money.
FOX’s Rick Leventhal reports from New York City:
Some school districts have found out kids don’t always eat their vegetables, so they’ve opted out of the federal lunch program designed to reduce childhood obesity by requiring more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and less salt and smaller entrees. In some districts, up to half the kids stopped buying meals, creating deficits of tens of thousands of dollars.
So some schools are foregoing the subsidies and coming up with their own lunch plans, giving kids more of what they want. But most are sticking with the federal program, especially in areas with high poverty levels that can’t afford to go it alone.
In New York, Rick Leventhal, FOX News Radio.
WATCH more on districts dropping Federal lunch programs: