- FOX Wheels: America’s Big Pothole ProblemPosted 2 hours ago
- Securing America: IED ProtectionPosted 1 day ago
- Foreign Dispatch: Crimea ConundrumPosted 3 days ago
- FOX On Tech: Oscar ‘Selfie’ Takes Twitter To New HeightsPosted 4 days ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Company to Sponsor NASCAR RacePosted 1 month ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Week of January 31stPosted 1 month ago
- Housecall for Health: A Fit New YearPosted 2 months ago
- Barbecue Tips From A PitmasterPosted 8 months ago
Who are the Algerian Hostage Takers? [VIDEO]
It’s one of the biggest international hostage crises in decades, but just who is behind the Algerian gas field attack?
FOX News Radio’s Simon Owen reports from London:
The White House says it’s unable to confirm any claims of responsibility for the kidnapping, but it’s thought it was ordered by Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a veteran Islamist guerrilla fighter. He used to be a senior al-Qaeda figure in Algeria’s neighbor, Mali, but it’s understood he was pushed from his position in October.
He went on to set up his own group, and it’s thought that’s the one responsible for this attack. Belmokhtar is known for his appearance – he only has one eye. He’s also know for being a smuggler. His group, known as the Signed-in-Blood Battalion, says the attack is revenge after France sent troops to Mali to fight rebels backed by al-Qaeda.
In London, Simon Owen, FOX News Radio.
WATCH more on the hostage takers in Algeria: