- Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek’s “Spock” – Dies At 83Posted 8 hours ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: ‘Sesame Street’ Spoofs ‘House Of Cards’!Posted 13 hours ago
- Kevin Harvick Gearing Up For AtlantaPosted 14 hours ago
- Jeb Bush To “Actively Explore The Possibility Of Running For President”Posted 2 months ago
- Insurance Industry Giving Affordable Care Act Customers More Time To Pay PremiumsPosted 2 months ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 3 months ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 4 months ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 6 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 8 months ago
KS Wants Sperm Donor To Pay Child Support
When does a sperm donor have to pay? That’s the question at the heart of a lawsuit in Kansas.
FOX News Radio’s Jennifer Keiper reports:
William Marotta helped a lesbian couple in Topeka have a baby…
(Marotta) “I donated genetic material.”
And the three signed an agreement severing his parental rights.
(Marotta) “I’m not raising the child. I wasn’t expected to be paying for child support.”
But when one of the women filed for state aid because of an illness, the state demanded the donor’s name so it could collect child support for the now three-year-old girl.
Under Kansas law, a sperm donor isn’t the father of a child if a doctor handles the artificial insemination. Marotta and the women didn’t use a doctor. That’s often due to the high cost of artificial insemination.
As Marotta is finding out, it can mean legal issues. His attorney is trying to get the case dismissed. Some legal experts say Kansas law is pretty clear.
Jennifer Keiper, FOX News Radio.
Tag: A hearing is scheduled in april.