- Shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High SchoolPosted 12 hours ago
- Dallas Nurse, Nina Pham, Ebola-FreePosted 14 hours ago
- American Dispatch: Revisiting A Tornado-Torn Town In ArkansasPosted 16 hours ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Star GoatsPosted 24 hours ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 1 month ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 4 months ago
Sitar Master Ravi Shankar Dies [VIDEO]
Ravi Shankar, the musician and composer whose collaborations with musicians in the West helped foster a new appreciation for India’s traditional music, has died. He was 92.
FOX News Radio’s Bill Vitka reports:
Ravi Shankar was a world class musician and he had a global following. It was George Harrison, more than anyone else, who helped introduce him to the world beyond India.
Shankar was already revered as a master of sitar when he met Harrison and the Beatles in 1966. Harrison called him “the godfather of world music”.
That cache gave Shankar a new audience. He garnered widespread attention with memorable performances at Monterey Pop, Woodstock and The Concert for Bangladesh.
Shankar was classically trained. His music once compared to Mozart.
For later generations, Shankar was the estranged father of singer Norah Jones. He died at a hospital near his home in Encinitas, California.
Bill Vitka, Fox News Radio
LISTEN to music from Ravi Shankar: