- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ResigningPosted 5 hours ago
- 12-year-old Carrying BB Gun, Shot & Killed By PolicePosted 8 hours ago
- The 2014 American Music Awards RecapPosted 9 hours ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 3 days ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 1 week ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 2 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 5 months ago
Sitar Master Ravi Shankar Dies [VIDEO]
Ravi Shankar, the musician and composer whose collaborations with musicians in the West helped foster a new appreciation for India’s traditional music, has died. He was 92.
FOX News Radio’s Bill Vitka reports:
Ravi Shankar was a world class musician and he had a global following. It was George Harrison, more than anyone else, who helped introduce him to the world beyond India.
Shankar was already revered as a master of sitar when he met Harrison and the Beatles in 1966. Harrison called him “the godfather of world music”.
That cache gave Shankar a new audience. He garnered widespread attention with memorable performances at Monterey Pop, Woodstock and The Concert for Bangladesh.
Shankar was classically trained. His music once compared to Mozart.
For later generations, Shankar was the estranged father of singer Norah Jones. He died at a hospital near his home in Encinitas, California.
Bill Vitka, Fox News Radio
LISTEN to music from Ravi Shankar: