- The Balance Of Power: A FOX News Radio SpecialPosted 7 hours ago
- FOX Country: Kenny Chesney & Jason Aldean Team Up For A Mega TourPosted 8 hours ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Girl Desperate to be Nicki Minaj After Wisdom Teeth RemovalPosted 9 hours ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 2 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 4 months ago
GOP Senate Candidate: Victims of “Legitimate Rape” Don’t Get Pregnant
Todd Akin, the Missouri U.S. Senate candidate who wants the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act overturned, also believes abortion should be illegal even for rape victims because victims of “legitimate rape” have body functions that prevent pregnancy.
“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
Akin said that even in the worst-case scenario — when the supposed natural protections against unwanted pregnancy fail — abortion should still not be a legal option for the rape victim.
“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”