- The U.S. And Allies Launch Attack Against ISIS in Syria [VIDEO]Posted 2 hours ago
- PA Manhunt for Alleged Trooper KillerPosted 2 hours ago
- Another Hostage Video From ISISPosted 2 hours ago
- AFMW: Bluegrass group Nu-Blu and Sam Moore, Legendary Soul ManPosted 4 hours ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 2 weeks ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 3 months ago
Federal Court Decides If Cheerleading is a Sport
A Federal appeals court has made its decision: Cheerleading is NOT a sport. It’s a move in response to a move by a Northeast college, and could be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
FOX News Radio’s Lisa Brady reports:
The case isn’t about this:
(Cheerleaders) “C’mon, Defense! Hold that line!”
It’s about competitive cheerleading, and – acknowledging that it can be physically challenging – the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says someday, with defined rules, it MIGHT warrant recognition as a varsity sport…but not yet, so it can’t help a college meet the gender equity required under Federal law.
This upholds a previous decision against Connecticut’s Quinnipiac University, which tried to replace women’s volleyball with cheerleading and got sued. In the end, both teams got to say, and the cheerleading has been renamed “Acrobatics and Tumbling,” now part of a national group seeking formal recognition as a sport.
Lisa Brady, FOX News Radio.