- FOX Country: Kenny Chesney & Jason Aldean Team Up For A Mega TourPosted 5 mins ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Girl Desperate to be Nicki Minaj After Wisdom Teeth RemovalPosted 35 mins ago
- Nurse In Maine Defies Ebola Quarantine [VIDEO]Posted 17 hours ago
- The Balance Of Power: Presidential Hopefuls Hit The Road in Support Of Midterm CandidatesPosted 24 hours ago
- Legal Lis: Homeowners Association Battles with an Elderly Vet over a FlagpolePosted 1 day ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 2 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 4 months ago
Senator Schumer Calls for “Limits on First Amendment Rights” (VIDEO)
While debating the DISCLOSE ACT, Senator Charles Schumer said not putting limits on the First Amendment Rights of campaign donors jeopardizes Democracy:
Should there be limits on how much anyone can donate to a campaign or a SUPER PAC? Should large donations — or all donations — be made public?
MORE ON THE “DISCLOSE ACT”:
* The DISCLOSE Act would require any group that spends more than $10,000 on political advertisements to file a report each time it does so, and to disclose the names of donors of more than $10,000.
* Donors who specify that their contributions are not to be used for political purposes would be exempt.
* Republicans say that the proposed law favors unions because union members could give large numbers of small donations that would fall below the $10,000 threshold for mandatory disclosure.
* The Democrats respond by noting that the $10,000 threshold for reporting contributions applies to all groups and individuals and would not create an advantage for labor unions. [For example, the identity of all Fox News employees who donated less than $10,000 to a given SuperPAC would be shielded the same was as would the identities of all union members who gave less than $10,000 to a given SuperPAC]
[source: Test Vote for Bill on Political Donations Is Expected to Hew to Party Lines, By Alan K. Ota, Congressional Quarterly, July 13, 2012, http://www.cq.com/doc/news-4122102]