- Boy Scouts Vote To Allow Openly Gay ScoutsPosted 7 hours ago
- IRS Scandal: Lerner Placed On LeavePosted 7 hours ago
- President Obama Defends Drone ProgramPosted 10 hours ago
- Bear Breaks Into CA HomePosted 10 hours ago
- Hurricane Season PredictionsPosted 11 hours ago
- Teen Pregnancies DownPosted 15 hours ago
FDA Approves New Weight Loss Drug
There’s a new weapon in the fight against obesity. A new diet pill has been approved by federal regulators, but it’s not for everyone.
FOX News Radio’s Rich Johnson has more from Washington:
The drug, known as Belviq, is the first new prescription treatment for long-term weight loss to be sold in the U.S. in more than a decade. It’s okay for obese adults with at least one other complication, like high cholesterol or diabetes.
FDA approval comes two years after it was first denied over concerns about tumors in lab animals. New research shows there is little risk of tumors in humans.
Demand for any new weight-loss drug is high, as nearly 35% of Americans are now classified as obese.
In Washington, Rich Johnson, FOX News Radio.