- AFMW: Miss America 2015 Kira KazantsevPosted 1 day ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Soldier Shocks Family With Surprise ReturnPosted 3 days ago
- Tim McGraw To Headline Sandy Hook Promise BenefitPosted 3 days ago
- AFMW: ‘True Story’ Author Michael FinkelPosted 3 days ago
- AFMW: David Ensor, Head of the Voice of AmericaPosted 6 days ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Watch Ryan Gosling Dancing As A Kid!Posted 1 month ago
- Jeb Bush To “Actively Explore The Possibility Of Running For President”Posted 4 months ago
- Insurance Industry Giving Affordable Care Act Customers More Time To Pay PremiumsPosted 4 months ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 5 months ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 5 months ago
Student Loan Stalemate On Capitol Hill [VIDEO]
Congressional Republicans and Democrats are accusing each other of playing election-year politics with student loan interest rates. The jabs back-and-forth are increasing now that a Senate version of a bill to stop the rates from nearly doubling has been blocked.
FOX News Radio’s Steve Taylor reports from Washington:
The bill would have stopped student loan rates from rising to 6.8% in July. Both parties want that. Democrats would pay for it by raising taxes on some high-earning stockholders. Republicans want to pay for it by killing part of President Obama’s healthcare law.
Democratic Senator Tom Harkin wonders:
(Sen. Harkin) “Are we having a healthcare debate or an education debate?”
Republican Senator Lamar Alexander replies:
(Sen. Alexander) “It was the Democrats that connected healthcare to student loans.”
Senate Republicans say the Democrats won’t consider their plan, so they blocked the Democrats’ plan.
In Washington, Steve Taylor, FOX News Radio.
WATCH more on the battle over student loan interest rates HERE: