- Legal Lis: All Eyes on FergusonPosted 11 hours ago
- Black Friday Shopping SecretsPosted 12 hours ago
- AFMW: Actor Rob Riggle and Big Game Maker Kenny WhitePosted 14 hours ago
- Bullet Points: Marching for JusticePosted 1 day ago
- Ferguson Protests Continue To Grip The NationPosted 2 days ago
- Getting Ready for Thanksgiving: Parade Preview and Shopping PrepPosted 2 days ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 6 days ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 2 weeks ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 3 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 5 months ago
Student Loan Stalemate On Capitol Hill [VIDEO]
Congressional Republicans and Democrats are accusing each other of playing election-year politics with student loan interest rates. The jabs back-and-forth are increasing now that a Senate version of a bill to stop the rates from nearly doubling has been blocked.
FOX News Radio’s Steve Taylor reports from Washington:
The bill would have stopped student loan rates from rising to 6.8% in July. Both parties want that. Democrats would pay for it by raising taxes on some high-earning stockholders. Republicans want to pay for it by killing part of President Obama’s healthcare law.
Democratic Senator Tom Harkin wonders:
(Sen. Harkin) “Are we having a healthcare debate or an education debate?”
Republican Senator Lamar Alexander replies:
(Sen. Alexander) “It was the Democrats that connected healthcare to student loans.”
Senate Republicans say the Democrats won’t consider their plan, so they blocked the Democrats’ plan.
In Washington, Steve Taylor, FOX News Radio.
WATCH more on the battle over student loan interest rates HERE: