- “The Interview” — Not Coming To A Theater Near YouPosted 7 hours ago
- Jeb Bush To “Actively Explore The Possibility Of Running For President”Posted 9 hours ago
- Legal Lis: Newtown Families Sue Gun Maker for Sandy Hook MassacrePosted 10 hours ago
- Insurance Industry Giving Affordable Care Act Customers More Time To Pay PremiumsPosted 1 day ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 4 weeks ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 1 month ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 3 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 6 months ago
CIA Foils Plane Bomb Plot [VIDEO]
The FBI is in possession of a bomb that was built to take down a U.S.-bound airliner after an international team effort foiled an al-Qaeda affiliate’s planned terrorist attack.
FOX News Radio’s Rich Johnson reports from Washington DC:
FOX News has confirmed the plot to blow up a U.S.-bound jet with a new, improved underwear bomb was set for last week. But the CIA knew about it, and picked up the would-be bomber and his bomb before he even had a chance to book a flight.
The White House says President Obama was informed in April, and told intel agencies to do whatever was needed to stop the plot.
And officials reportedly believe the bomb is the work of Ibrahim al-Asiri, the top bomb maker for “al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula,” and the maker of the underwear bomb that failed to blow up a U.S.-bound plane in late 2009.
In Washington, Rich Johnson, FOX News Radio.
WATCH more on the plot HERE:
The White House released this statement Monday on the thwarted terror plot:
“The President was first informed about the plot in April by his Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Advisor John Brennan, and he has received regular updates and briefings as needed from his national security team. While the President was assured that the device did not pose a threat to the public, he directed the Department of Homeland Security and law enforcement and intelligence agencies to take whatever steps necessary to guard against this type of attack. The disruption of this IED plot underscores the necessity of remaining vigilant against terrorism here and abroad. The President thanks all intelligence and counterterrorism professionals involved for their outstanding work and for serving with the extraordinary skill and commitment that their enormous responsibilities demand.” -Caitlin Hayden, Deputy NSC Spokesperson
The FBI released the following statement:
“As a result of close cooperation with our security and intelligence partners overseas, an improvised explosive device (IED) designed to carry out a terrorist attack has been seized abroad. The FBI currently has possession of the IED and is conducting technical and forensics analysis on it. Initial exploitation indicates that the device is very similar to IEDs that have been used previously by al-Qa’ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in attempted terrorist attacks, including against aircraft and for targeted assassinations. The device never presented a threat to public safety, and the U.S. Government is working closely with international partners to address associated concerns with the device. We refer you to the Department of Homeland Security, including the Transportation Security Administration, regarding ongoing security measures to safeguard the American people and the traveling public.”
Stay tuned to your local FOX News Radio affiliate for more on this developing story.