- Foreign Dispatch: Crimea ConundrumPosted 1 day ago
- FOX Country: Toby Keith Announces Tour Dates Via YouTube [VIDEO]Posted 1 day ago
- FOX In The Fast Lane: NASCAR Heads To Las VegasPosted 1 day ago
- FOX On Tech: Oscar ‘Selfie’ Takes Twitter To New HeightsPosted 2 days ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Company to Sponsor NASCAR RacePosted 4 weeks ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Week of January 31stPosted 1 month ago
- Housecall for Health: A Fit New YearPosted 2 months ago
- Barbecue Tips From A PitmasterPosted 8 months ago
Rise of Freedom: 1 WTC Takes Top Spot in NYC Skyline [VIDEO]
Nearly one year to the day after U.S. Special Forces killed Usama bin Laden, the man behind the 9/11 attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center, a building on the site has retaken the title as New York City’s tallest building – and it’s not done growing.
WATCH a time-lapse video of the construction of 1 WTC here as released by EarthCam:
FOX News Radio’s Jeff Monosso reports from NYC:
At 1,271 feet, One World Trade is now higher than the Empire State Building, the tallest skyscraper in New York City.
(Rechler) “And well on our way to being the tallest building in the western hemisphere, so a very exciting day.”
…The Port Authority’s Scott Rechler. One World Trade has become a symbol of pride and what Mayor Michael Bloomberg called “a bright future.” What’s also known as the “Freedom Tower” will reach 1,776 feet next year – a reference to the year of America’s independence.
In New York, Jeff Monosso, FOX News Radio.
WATCH more on the rebirth of New York City’s skyline HERE:
There is some debate among architecture enthusiasts over just what building will the tallest in the United States. Traditionally, the height of a spire is included in a building’s total height, while the addition of an antenna is not (because it is considered removable).
1 World Trade Center is passing the Empire State Building at a height of a little over 1,250 feet – the height of the Empire State Building’s observation deck. An antenna on the Empire State Building extends up to 1,454 feet. The Willis Tower in Chicago will still have a higher top floor than 1 World Trade Center will upon completion: The Willis Tower’s roof sits just over 1,450 feet (with an antenna extending to 1,730), while 1 World Trade Center’s roof level will be just under 1,370 feet (with a spire topping out at 1,776 feet).
WATCH more on the safety innovations in the construction of 1 WTC HERE: