- FOX Country: Toby Keith Announces Tour Dates Via YouTube [VIDEO]Posted 1 hour ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Week of March 7thPosted 2 hours ago
- Ukraine Crisis Leads To Sanctions On Russia, Executive OrderPosted 17 hours ago
- The Balance of Power: Is The Tea Party Losing Steam?Posted 23 hours ago
- Conservatives Gather At CPAC [VIDEO]Posted 23 hours ago
- FOX On Tech: Oscar ‘Selfie’ Takes Twitter To New HeightsPosted 1 day ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Company to Sponsor NASCAR RacePosted 4 weeks ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: Week of January 31stPosted 1 month ago
- Housecall for Health: A Fit New YearPosted 2 months ago
- Barbecue Tips From A PitmasterPosted 8 months ago
Reports: Zimmerman to be Charged in Trayvon Martin Case [VIDEO]
The Associated Press and other news outlets are reporting that George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who says he shot and killed an unarmed Florida teen in self-defense, will be criminally charged in the case.
FOX News Radio’s Jared Halpern has more:
Florida Special Prosecutor Angela Corey will announce she is charging Zimmerman in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Several media sources now reporting, including the Associated Press, that that announcement will come at 6pm (ET).
It’s unclear what charges Zimmerman may face, but there was no grand jury indictment in this case. That means that Corey cannot pursue a first-degree murder charge, but could go forward with second-degree murder or manslaughter charges.
The unarmed 17-year-old, an African-American, was shot and killed in the gated community of Sanford, Florida by neighborhood watchman Zimmerman. He claims he was acting in self-defense, but Zimmerman’s lack of arrest in the case has sparked nationwide protests by civil rights activists, who claim race has been a factor in the investigation.
Just what happened the night Trayvon Martin died. Those are facts that may not be fully revealed until the case goes to trial.
FOX News Radio’s Eben Brown has been following the case:
Trayvon Martin was an African-American teen. George Zimmerman was first listed as white, though his family insists he has varying heritage. Race has played into this scenario for two reasons: One, Zimmerman is alleged to have uttered racial slurs while on the phone with a 911 operator shortly before the shooting, and two, the community feels police never bothered investigating his claim of self-defense because the teen is black.
WATCH more on the reports of charges against George Zimmerman HERE: