- American Teacher Killed In BenghaziPosted 3 hours ago
- NSA Reportedly Tracks & Collects Cell Phone Travel DataPosted 4 hours ago
- FOX on Tech: Delivering Packages By DronePosted 6 hours ago
- Barbecue Tips From A PitmasterPosted 5 months ago
Conservatives Complain About Miranda Rights For A US Citizen, Even As The System Works
Faisal Shahzad has was read his Miranda rights, but only after being interviewed by investigators. That is because of what is known as the public safety exception, where someone considered to be a threat can be questioned immediately. Conservatives seem to have a big problem with Miranda rights for suspected terrorists, even though the system works.
When the Christmas day underwear bomber, Umbar Farouq Abdulmutallab, was arrested and given Miranda rights, conservatives complained, even though Abdulmutallab cooperated and provided information. Similarly, conservatives began complaining about rights given to Shahzad, even before it was known what the process was.
– “I think obviously that [mirandizing Shahzad] would be a serious mistake until we’ve — at least until we find out as much information as we have, and there are ways — legal ways — of delaying that.” — Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
– “I hope that [Attorney General Eric] Holder did discuss this with the intelligence community. If they believe they got enough from him, how much more should they get? Did they Mirandize him? I know he’s an American citizen but still.” — Rep. Peter King (R-NY)
But Shahzad is cooperating, and has already admitted his involvement in the Times Square bomb attempt. So just where is the problem here?
Subscribe to the Alan Colmes Show Podcast and get exclusive access to the Alan Colmes Radio Listener Club!
Alan Colmes Show Monthly and Yearly Podcast Subscriptions
All Premium Podcast Monthly and Yearly Subscriptions are Auto-Renew
For a full list of all FOX News Talk, FOX News Channel, and FOX Business Network premium audio podcasts, Visit http://radio.foxnews.com/podcast.