- AFMW: Dr. Paul White, Psychologist, Author, Speaker, and ConsultantPosted 4 hours ago
- Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek’s “Spock” – Dies At 83Posted 23 hours ago
- VIRAL VIDEOS: ‘Sesame Street’ Spoofs ‘House Of Cards’!Posted 1 day ago
- Kevin Harvick Gearing Up For AtlantaPosted 1 day ago
- Jeb Bush To “Actively Explore The Possibility Of Running For President”Posted 2 months ago
- Insurance Industry Giving Affordable Care Act Customers More Time To Pay PremiumsPosted 2 months ago
- Boehner Responds To President Obama’s Immigration Plan [VIDEO]Posted 3 months ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 4 months ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 6 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 8 months ago
Conservatives Complain About Miranda Rights For A US Citizen, Even As The System Works
Faisal Shahzad has was read his Miranda rights, but only after being interviewed by investigators. That is because of what is known as the public safety exception, where someone considered to be a threat can be questioned immediately. Conservatives seem to have a big problem with Miranda rights for suspected terrorists, even though the system works.
When the Christmas day underwear bomber, Umbar Farouq Abdulmutallab, was arrested and given Miranda rights, conservatives complained, even though Abdulmutallab cooperated and provided information. Similarly, conservatives began complaining about rights given to Shahzad, even before it was known what the process was.
– “I think obviously that [mirandizing Shahzad] would be a serious mistake until we’ve — at least until we find out as much information as we have, and there are ways — legal ways — of delaying that.” — Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
– “I hope that [Attorney General Eric] Holder did discuss this with the intelligence community. If they believe they got enough from him, how much more should they get? Did they Mirandize him? I know he’s an American citizen but still.” — Rep. Peter King (R-NY)
But Shahzad is cooperating, and has already admitted his involvement in the Times Square bomb attempt. So just where is the problem here?