- Senator Mary Landrieu’s Keystone CollapsePosted 11 hours ago
- How Much Does Thanksgiving Cost?Posted 11 hours ago
- Legal Lis: Lawyer Sues Holder & ATF Over Homemade Machine GunPosted 12 hours ago
- AFMW: Comedian Sebastian ManiscalcoPosted 7 days ago
- FOX in the Fast Lane: Kicking Off The ChasePosted 2 months ago
- Obamacare Data Discrepancies Could Jeopardize CoveragePosted 5 months ago
Charlie Wilson: Get Out of Afghanistan
The former US congressman from Texas who was able to secure enough funds for the CIA to provide the mujahideen with weapons to fight the Soviets can see us getting into a quagmire. Charlie Wilson’s efforts became the basis of a book and movie called “Charlie Wilson’s War”.
Mr. Wilson believes that the United States’ failure to invest in Afghanistan’s recovery following the war led in large part to the ascension of the Taliban, who provided a refuge for Osama bin Ladin, who had fought with the mujahideen against the Soviets, and Al Qaeda in the years leading up to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
Failure to finish
“We (screwed) up the end game,” Mr. Wilson said. “It would have been very easy and done for a minuscule amount of money. We should have done the basic things for a backward country that’s trying to come out of (a war) and have a reasonable hope of economic success.”
“It’s probably best to make a calculated withdrawl,” he said. “If I were the president, I’m not sure what I’d do. I’d probably shut it down,rather than lose a lot of soldiers and treasure.”
“I’d rather take on a chain saw,” Mr. Wilson said. “They’re the world’s best foot soldiers, best warriors. And they’re fearless.
“They’re fearless, and they’ve got nothing to lose. And they have a pretty serious hatred for those who try to occupy their country.”